This class is for current Coastal Swim Instructors and others WITH swim experience who are interested in earning the Red Cross Certification as a Water Safety Instructor.
In order earn the Certification, students must be 16 years or older and be able to swim at a level 4 or higher and demonstrate the following Swim Skills:
- Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke – 25 yards
Butterfly – 15 yards
Back float for 1 minute (floating or sculling)
Tread water for 1 minute
What You’ll Learn
During our swim instructor certification training courses you’ll learn how to help individuals enjoy their time in the water safely – and in a wide range of ways. Throughout the courses, we’ll focus on a number of key areas that can help you succeed as an aquatics instructor, such as:
- Water safety at public pools, homes, natural bodies of water and more, including the Circle of Drowning Prevention and Chain of Drowning Survival.
- Hydrodynamics, including why some things float, resistance to movement and creating movement in water, swimming efficiency and laws of levers.
- Basic safety, survival and swimming skills to help children gain water competency.
- Helping people with disabilities and other health conditions enjoy the water safely.
Water Safety Instructors will also learn how to teach:
- Higher-level swim skills that help prepare people of all ages for any aquatic activity.
- Stroke mechanics for all competitive strokes as well as starts, turns and headfirst entries.
- Water safety certification courses, including Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue.
- Fundamentals of diving from a diving board.
- Aquatic fitness and training for people of any age.